Author Topic: CB information  (Read 3958 times)

Offline scannerman2010

• Donation
  • Scan Legend
CB information
« on: November 14, 2011, 21:30:06 PM »
Alright lads

I am thinking of getting into the cb area.I dont have a clue about much of the things to do with it so i could do with some help.I have a royal discone which can receive on 25-1300Mhz and transmit on 2m,6m,23cm,32cmand 70cms i dont have a clue what they mean.Can my antenna be used for cb or would i have to invest in a cb antenna and i was  thinking of buying a COBRA 19DX IV MULTI CB RADIO
off ebay seems to be good for a newbie like me.Is that all i need or do i need some other gear to get me going.suggestions welcome.thanks lads.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline 5566

• Scan King
  • Actually it may control something...
Re: CB information
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 22:18:49 PM »
If you don't wanna read too much then:

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANY THING SUCH A COBRA 19

Now you may read the rest.

1st. Invest in decent CB antenna. Antron99 is not a bad choice, Imax2000 is even better but Sirio 827 will keep you happy until last day of the world. And don't be tempted to save on a coax - RG213 is the snake you'll wanna hook up, even if you don't know it.

2nd. AVOID anything with Cobra19 on front panel. An exception might be an (very)OLD Cobra19 with nickel panel - only for nostalgia reason but still outperforming 99% nowadays 40 channel. Actually avoid everything what is AM or FM only transceiver or is sold by Maplin. Good example of a bad example what not to buy and how much the one shouldn't pay is Maplin's offer. Stick with "magic" SSB enabled rigs. If you wanna get brand spanking new then go for President Jackson II or Midland Alan 8001 or Albrecht 5800. Those are LEGAL CB rigs. Okay, if AM/FM is enough (no chance, really) then go with President (any model) or Midland Alan (any 48 series model, but I admire 48 Precision Series, also 78 is not bad little thing). DO NOT waste your time and money on cheap Midland Alan and clones such as Moonraker or CRT.

3rd. Thinking of power supply think TRANSFORMER type and at least 10 amp surge 8 amp continuous. Forget of your old PC and its dirty switcher or similar junk.

4th. Last but not least - get any SWR meter. Even simplest and cheapest for about 10-15 eur will do.

Enjoy!

And if you would really enjoy it then you'll discover that there is even more to splash the cash.

Offline zetechire

• Scan Marine
    • Dublin Port Radio live feed
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 23:20:13 PM »
Good advise above, just beware you will get some good radios second hand, but there are some bad sellers out there, if you spot something interesting post it here or ask a few members here to look at it. One other thing ,, it's the 11 meter band you want.
Enjoy the hobby  :D
Icom IR1500    AOR8600MK2, , Icom IC706,   Yaesu vr500 ,  UBC 3500, Icom 746

Offline gbee

• Lord of the Scanners
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
The actual CB selection can be a bit evocative. But I'd advice you get a frequency display CB radio.

The 11m Bands runs some 240 or so frequencies spaced out into banks and channel number. A basic CB will have a switch or menu selection to select the bands or banks and it will then display a channel number.

As example Bank/Band D [Also known as Mid Cept/EU] and select Ch20 will actually be frequency 27.205

When DXing one is often asked to move [QSY] to another frequency ~ 27.200 as example, and your radio may not be able to select the zero, as your channel radio will jump to the next full channel [usually, there are tricks but I found far too confusing tbh].

A radio with Single Side Band [SSB] is essential, most DX contact are made with the higher power setting afforded by the USB and LSB segments of the band.

Antenna and cable are essential too ~ but a fairly simple mag mount will give a modicum of success if on a vehicle and high. I've received several mobile contact with standard Jackson gear and standard but good quality mag mounts from Scandinavia, Poland and Germany.

Watch your costs as brand new equipment is available from Longs Communications such as the DX5000 [& various copies] at competitive prices with guarantee and next day delivery often for the same money you'll pay for second hand Johnson's and Magnums ~ I would not say they are not worth it, but maybe not for the beginner [today].
UBC800XLT Short RG58! Discone on porch . CRT SS6900 V3.1. iMax-2000: Cork Stn 255

Offline scannerman2010

• Donation
  • Scan Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 21:10:37 PM »
Many thanks lads for the pointers and the do's and dont's.Il be buying a base cb radio and base antenna.Will do some shopping around first to do price comparrisons before i invest.More than likely a midland cb not sure what model yet and mabye a sirio antenna.I will be paying long communications a visit as i dont live far from that area.

Offline 5566

• Scan King
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 00:01:12 AM »
I am not connected with Long's shop but must say that they're pretty good ones and probably best in IE if it comes to new gear price wise. And very kind and helpful too. Best you can do now is to attend Mayo Rally this Sunday. Loads of new and old gear to see and grab. There used to be one lad from (i guess) NI always loaded with CB stuff.

Offline robocop

• Scan Master
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 22:20:33 PM »
The lads on DX27.net are a great help also OP.

Offline freecb

• Scan Marine
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14727

this lad is also up your way a great rig for cb and 11 meters.
go on Bertie bud

Offline 5566

• Scan King
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 20:41:32 PM »
Oh, prezzie linc, a masterpiece of a classic. Yo, scannerman grab it and then you can listen to such a fascinating things as attached.

http://hotfile.com/dl/135740614/1477e46/Irish_truckers.mp3.html

Offline scannerman2010

• Donation
  • Scan Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 21:51:47 PM »
Funny stuff there,all i can hear is something about galway and explicit language.I presume thats what you hear on the auld cb boi.

Offline 5566

• Scan King
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 22:04:27 PM »
I did this recording about 2009 on RCI6900 and stinger. Guys were passing by and I was in my mobile during lunch break. One of very few local transmissions really so got it "archived". Found it today when tidying up hard drive.

Offline AB3NK

• Just joined
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 18:21:22 PM »
Unless you cannot pass the tests or requirements to get an actual ham radio license, the citizens band is probably a waste of good money and time.

Essentially, there is probably only 3 manufacturers that makes the boards that are found inside of a new base station today and at least one of those boards are actually a mobile radio board inside of a base station box.

IN some countries, it is not legal to slide between the channels, although if no one monitors or enforces these rules, who cares.

A box stock CB radio - that was manufactured for use in the USA is only 3 watts AM or 12 watts PEP SSB.

Export radios can produce as much as 50 to 100 watts, although if they were marketed 10 meter export - don't get caught on the 10 or 12 meters without a proper license.

The RG213 that another poster talked about has a low level of loss, but the velocity factor is only about .66 - which is not good compared to some other cables such as LMR 400 or Belden 9913.

The antenna is the key factor,  lets say you get a beam antenna with 12 db of gain.    That would be like increasing the transmit power maybe 12 times or like a 3 watt radio putting out 48 watts.
Where as a 48 watt radio, into a mobile 102 inch whip antenna will only radiate 48 watts and has no gain on the receive side of the antenna at all.

Spend your money wisely and buy the best antenna and coax and then buy the radio and buy one really good radio as opposed to something with gimmick's such as frequency counters or a higher output power.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/kj6rzpowergaincoax.html

Here is a good link for you to look at.

Offline 5566

• Scan King
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 20:32:27 PM »
The antenna is the key factor,  lets say you get a beam antenna with 12 db of gain.    That would be like increasing the transmit power maybe 12 times or like a 3 watt radio putting out 48 watts.
Where as a 48 watt radio, into a mobile 102 inch whip antenna will only radiate 48 watts and has no gain on the receive side of the antenna at all.

Well I could never get that way of describing antenna gain. How an 3 watt input can become 48 watts output? Getting more than putting in from an passive element? No wonder America went into money trouble after all :)

Going into details, you know yourself, an beam antenna wouldn't radiate 48 watts out of 3 as well as an bulb in a reflector wouldn't be any brighter than without it.  It just directs all the input power into a narrow beam, as well as an reflector would focus light and direct it into one spot. Otherwise someone could think, that if a good antenna would make 48 out of 3, then nothing better than some feedback wire to steal some "surplus" power and feed it into DC, thus making it self sustainable.

But I know, in the USA there is all the stupid law about antenna gain, elevation and 155 mile ban. And to add an insult to injury, SOPA and PIPA are sneaking around. Sodom and Gomorrah.

And still all the best "export" rigs are coming from the USA :D

Offline vanmie

• Scan Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
The antenna is the key factor,  lets say you get a beam antenna with 12 db of gain. That would be like increasing the transmit power maybe 12 times

I agree with 5566's response, just one more addition;

12dB would never be a factor 12
12dB would be a factor 16

and how you measure dB antenna gain ? It needs to be measured against a reference point, either Isotropic or Dipole -> this is where you see dBi and dBD... (and for the insiders dBi = 2.1 + dBD)

... 2 cents...

Scanner: UBC-3500XLT, UBC-355CLT, GRECOM PSR-255
PMR446: Binatone A-950
HT's: Wouxun KG-UVD1P/KG-669P, Puxing 777-Plus, Baofeng UV5-RE
TX: Kenwood TS-570DGE, Icom IC-7000, Sommerkamp FT-767, Yaesu FT-101ZD, Kenwood TM-D710E, Baojie BJ-9900
Antenna's: **lots**