Author Topic: MLAT in Ireland  (Read 1766 times)

Offline AirwavesIreland

• Scan Soldier
MLAT in Ireland
« on: March 04, 2014, 18:00:01 PM »
Its a pity the FR24 MLAT option doesn't work that well in Ireland with only the odd flight showing up. :(
I've contacted them about setting up MLAT compatible receivers here in Ireland but they were not interested.

If anyone is interested there is talk of getting an MLAT network running here in Ireland over the summer months. What is needed first however is a good spread of Mode S sharers across the country so that if it does happen we are in a position to implement MLAT on or map.

I currently have a few sharers on my map on www.airwavesireland.com but we could do with more especially on the South and West coasts.

If interested in sharing data to the map drop me a PM. A static IP makes setup easier although not essential. SDR Dongles are compatible.

Gareth

Offline AWOL

• Donation
  • Lord of the Scanners
Re: MLAT in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 00:38:15 AM »
Hi Airwaves

I've drifted away from radio in the past few months but I do have an SDR dongle and a roof-mounted antenna. I'll try and get it up-and-running again and could help out. I am in Cork city but I have better coverage to my west and north-west than I do to the south where I am blocked by a hill. You can hopefully get sharers that are better located than I am but let me know if you want me to help out.
AOR7030 Plus, Sony SW07, WinRadio G305e, Uniden BCT15, Uniden 3500XLT, Uniden 92XLT, Icom IC-R10, Realistic 2042, AOR 1000, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, G5RV, AT-2000 ATU, Roofmounted Discone, Portable Discone, Many Indoor antennas

Offline gbee

• Lord of the Scanners
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
Similarly I don't run mine all the time, I've an indoor roof mount and it give me good coverage of the airport but my chimney breast blocks  from the North East.

Currently I get about 50miles W & N and 25 miles S with 50 miles E with gaps than may only reappear at five miles E/NE.

I run Shipplotter but have no plans to run the Flight Tracker, FR24 has no interest in Ireland at this time but they have seemingly accepted some new members for the free equipment from the Cork Waterford area, but I have not confirmation, from being accepted to getting gear can take a very long time.
UBC800XLT Short RG58! Discone on porch . CRT SS6900 V3.1. iMax-2000: Cork Stn 255

Offline AirwavesIreland

• Scan Soldier
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
Thanks lads,

The realtime AIS map updates every 10 secs, you can share data to it by uploading to 79.171.79.203 Port 5485 UDP
http://www.airwavesireland.com/airwaves/index.php/realtime-ais-map

Marinetraffic have put a delay on their map since they went commercial which is a pity.

The Virtual Radar Server programme that runs the map on www.airwavesireland.com is opensource. The developer has plans for all sorts of additions like waypoints, email alerts etc.
MLAT is also being discussed which would be great for us as we get a lot of Mil Air overflights.

Obviously the more receivers the better the MLAT will be if it comes to fruition.

Offline RAGAD

• Scan Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 13:51:47 PM »
One of my gripes is that there isn't enough PlanePlotter sharers in the country. I've been using it for some time now and it's fairly depressing looking at a map of UK & Ireland and seeing nothing on the Irish portion of the map. I was feeding to FR24 but I found that it was using up too much of my precious 15Gb a month allowance so I stopped sharing. Pity, I found it to be quite good.
Anyway, let me know how I can share my data and I'll do it...
RAGAD

Have a look at some of my aviation photos here... andrewmartin.eu/

Offline AirwavesIreland

• Scan Soldier
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 19:27:24 PM »
Thanks RAGAD.

PM sent.  8)

Offline Carlow listening

• Scan Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 19:40:25 PM »
Hi Airwaves

I would be interested in sharing data if its any god to you ? Im currently sharing to Planeplotter but can also send data to yourself. What areas have you covered and what areas are you looking for ?
[size=150]Ya don`t have to be mad to do my job ........................but it sure helps [/size]

Offline AirwavesIreland

• Scan Soldier
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 20:18:33 PM »
Hi,

We have Dublin, Belfast Intl and Knock covered down to ground level.
We have all the Irish sea covered  :D

We especially need Shannon, Waterford and Cork airports covered.
All that is required is a static IP and a copy of Virtual Radar Server to push the data to my server.
I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks

Offline robbiec

• Scan Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 23:59:14 PM »
I live overlooking cork harbour and can see the airport ,i can see flights  landing and also one route which tracks directly  over my house over harbour entrance  ,i have an ais receiver sr161 but no software yet and would like to help if i can .

Offline AirwavesIreland

• Scan Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 14:42:43 PM »
Hi Robbie,

Do you have a Mode S receiver  or SDR Dongle ?

As for AIS, you don't need any paid software  ;D

If you download AIS Dispatcher http://www.aishub.net/aisdispatcher-wndows.html
Install it and choose the serial port of your AIS receiver on the Input Tab you should start seeing the message count increase.
To see the vessels appear on a map you can use my online map which updates every 10 secs or so.
Choose the Output Tab on AIS Dispatcher and enter in my server AIS IP and Port which is 79.171.79.203 Port 5485 UDP
Any questions just ask :)

Offline robbiec

• Scan Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 22:37:21 PM »
Hopefully should be linked i setup the ais with your details

Offline AirwavesIreland

• Scan Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:24 AM »