Author Topic: DXing  (Read 1601 times)

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
DXing
« on: March 27, 2015, 14:10:59 PM »
Thinkin about heading up to high ground saturday morning early to do some dxing.
I get a lot of noise here at the base and thought it would be a good practice run for the main one we do each easter.
Plan to use a 15ft pole off the back of the jeep with a sirio gainmaster and my trusty ft857 on low power.
Plenty of hills up around slane and surrounding areas and hopefully some interesting contacts will be had.

kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1

Offline 5566

• Scan King
  • Actually it may control something...
Re: DXing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 17:08:47 PM »
Wow! That's a savage setup for portable. How would you support the antenna pole? Have you some kind of drive-on base?

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 17:39:22 PM »
i made a tilt over bracket which is made of approx 4ft of aluminum tube, that is mounted between the top of the tail gate and the tow hitch ball. the 15 foot pole will slide into this with the antenna attached.
ill throw up a few pics later for the craic
kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 18:38:25 PM »

kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1

Offline 5566

• Scan King
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:25:25 AM »
Ah now that's a proper vehicle.
Any good contacts on your day out?

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 21:11:19 PM »
never happened, weather was too bad up this way and never ventured out.
Heading down to the west this weekend and will have my radio on listening while driving and might stop on the way and give a few shouts.
then on sunday if all goes to plan a few of us are setting up on high ground with a 40ft pump up mast here in dublin for a little evening event.
kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1

Offline 5566

• Scan King
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 02:21:41 AM »
I am in Galway but just got my cb radio out of the car as a new radio is on the way but in this case I'll get it back so possibly we could make a contact.

By the way I've been listening recently to quite regular activity on 27.525 usb. Not sure who is this but can hear 3 stations of what at least one must be pretty much local to me. Unfortunately I can listen to the radio only while driving around so not a clue who are they.

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »
on the friday and sat evening i plan to take a spin out around the sligo mayo boarder,there is some high ground near my relations, just have to figure out how to get up to it.
kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 00:13:32 AM »
Very slick.

Tilt over hinge looks well.  Are the 2 interconnecting "C" parts bought that way?

Uni-strut is great stuff too.

Well done.

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 18:21:54 PM »
yep the little c type hinges are from the unistrut catalogue.
the come pre made with either  m10 and m12 bolts welded in place and are only a couple of quid each.
im in the electrical end of things and we keep lost of this stuff or get it of our suppliers easily
kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1

Offline northdublin

• Scan Marine
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 02:27:34 AM »
We went out for a bit of field work last nite(easter sunday) and made a good few contacts.
we set up in Bellewstown, co meath with and imax and an ft-857 and worked a good few stateside and canada right up untill 11 pm.
we had a few stations dotted around the country and we passed our dx around the group.
lots of north of ireland stations called in and its allways nice to chat to people we dont get from our home qth's.
kenwood ts 870
Yaesu ft-857
sirio gainmaster
inverted vee
chameleon ch v1