Author Topic: Athy - co. Kildare - 449.3125MHz  (Read 706 times)

Offline vanmie

• Scan Legend
Athy - co. Kildare - 449.3125MHz
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
Suddenly 449.3125MHz - NFM - voice traffic - is very active the last couple of days.

Anyone hear this as well ? Anyone identified where this is coming from.
Sounds like "building work" or some sort of business...

Wondering: would this be licensed ? or would this crowd (whoever they are) have illegal UK sets (as in the UK this frequency is license-exempt)

Any info welcome.
thanks,
vanmie

Scanner: UBC-3500XLT, UBC-355CLT, GRECOM PSR-255
PMR446: Binatone A-950
HT's: Wouxun KG-UVD1P/KG-669P, Puxing 777-Plus, Baofeng UV5-RE
TX: Kenwood TS-570DGE, Icom IC-7000, Sommerkamp FT-767, Yaesu FT-101ZD, Kenwood TM-D710E, Baojie BJ-9900
Antenna's: **lots**

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
Re: Athy - co. Kildare - 449.3125MHz
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 15:46:49 PM »
I've heard traffic on 449MHz too.

Mostly construction based.

449 is a UK simple/light use UHF allocation and is not license exempt.  You pay a nominal license fee (£75) which lasts for 5 years.  However, it doesn't give you exclusive rights to the frequencies - it's a shared allocation - bit like a community repeater.

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/businessradio/BusinessRadioSimpleUK.pdf

446 is soooo busy now so I guess along came 449 <in the UK> while to my knowledge there is no similar allocation in Ireland..  Technically, it is illegal here but I'm guessing that UK based construction companies here will bring their own WTs for comms and they'll be oblivious to the licensing regs. 

A walkie-talkie is a walkie-talkie to them...press the button and speak.

Jamesie

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
Why can't we have a chat about radio?
Why does everyone want to be a COMREG official ?
Why are we paranoid about everything been illegal?
Only HAM radio operators have this attitude..am I right or am I right?
No offence intended ...
But the majority of hammers... have all played outside the proverbial box !!
pirating on 6mhz, ... using unlicensed buckshe cross banders as permanent repeaters....
The worst policemen are ex-CBR's come lately Ham radio operators...

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 14:30:19 PM »
If you think here is bad, pop over to Hobby Radio section on BOARDS.IE

You get slammed for even hinting on the likes of TeTRa...you'd swear only the emergency services used it.

I was merely stating it is illegal from a 'technical' point of view.  If it were to cause interference on legal frequencies it could cause hassle I guess.  Morally do people care?  No.  I attend an event every few weeks where carpark staff use Motorola on 449MHz and yes I earwig on them...not very exciting listening mind you.  Again, it's all down to radio knowledge.  I don't consider myself to be the radio police - nothing more annoys me than 'higher than thou' experts doing their usual drone of illegalities.

Jamesie

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 20:34:49 PM »
Looks like they have little to do. Reminds me of some of the ham operators here in Cork. They never talk on the radio but God forbid one of the few who do use the repeaters say something that is not compatible with the ham radio ethos, they are like a ton of bricks  8)
''Fine on that, fine on that, Your 5 by 5, my wife plays the piano and I drive a BMW''
In the old days amateur operators gave genuine signal reports.....

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 20:06:39 PM »
The 5&9 contesting brigade really do my head in when it's clearly not a 5&9...

Anyway, back on topic.  A license-able portion of UHF here would be useful.  I wouldn't mind paying a few quid for a 5 year license.

America have GMRS up on 462MHz...mostly simplex with a few repeaters also.  Also MURS for VHF folk on 151/154MHz

You can only take so much of kids running about on 446 screaming their heads off