Author Topic: Uniden UBCD3600XLT  (Read 347 times)

Offline Hill Walker

• Scan King
Uniden UBCD3600XLT
« on: June 12, 2018, 15:51:40 PM »
Hi all, long time no see, I'd hung up my boots for a bit.

I was dusting off the 3500xlt and got a few hits on air. Then I had a look online and saw suggestions of the UBCD3600XLT as its Uniden's first DMR capable scanner, I was wondering does anyone here have one and do they think it's worthwhile for nearly 500 quid?

Scanners GRE PSR-255, GRE PSR-282, Uniden UBC72XLT, Uniden UBC3500XLT

Offline laugong

• Donation
  • Scan Pro
Re: Uniden UBCD3600XLT
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 20:19:49 PM »
Hi
For about another 500 on top of that , uniden are coming out with a SDR scanner with decode for many types of modulation- was mentioned in recent spectrum monitor
I got a whistler which seems to work well at dmr
Sligo, Dublin

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 21:49:32 PM »
The SDS-100?

A $650 scanner which ramps up to $800 if you want to decode DMR and NXDN because you have to pay for the upgrades.

Why a manufacturer can't give a user what they need straight out of the box and meet half way with the cost???

Imagine buying an electric car, *** batteries not included ***

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 22:01:56 PM »
To the OP

If you can find secod-hand, there's a;

Uniden BCD436HP (handheld) and BCD536HP

Which also do DMR and recently NXDN with a firmware update (free) and a paid upgrade.

Offline laugong

• Donation
  • Scan Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 21:20:42 PM »
Theres the  aor -dv10 and the new icom scanner does digital too
Sligo, Dublin

Offline Hill Walker

• Scan King
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 14:29:00 PM »
I have had a historical preference for Uniden due to their user-friendliness and good all-round capabilities.

If taking this into consideration, which out of those listed would be recommended?

Offline Hill Walker

• Scan King
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 18:17:08 PM »
Theres the  aor -dv10 and the new icom scanner does digital too

Actually, I see the one you're talking about. The DV10 is not my first choice tbh. Scans TETRA in DMO too.

Next questions is if it's worth buying a DMR scanner in terms of traffic? It's still relatively rare in my neck of the woods, three frequencies of new users. All the old local users I'd be interested in receiving are still on analogue.

Offline laugong

• Donation
  • Scan Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 13:53:58 PM »
In dublin there a good few DMR users- some have migrated to DmR in last year or so

In other areas i suspect not much DMR

There is much listenable activity on analogue still
Sligo, Dublin

Offline Hill Walker

• Scan King
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 19:45:28 PM »
In dublin there a good few DMR users- some have migrated to DmR in last year or so

It's surprising how much is still analogue actually. PMR446 and UK General (449mhz) seems to have caught on a lot over here, several commercial users that weren't there a few years ago.

I live outside Dublin so I don't think there's much value at this stage investing in a DMR scanner. From comparing with youtube recordings, I'm aware of 3 users in the area but I can't say that they'd be high priority.

Its not long till all the (land-based) full-time and volunteer emergency services are gone to TETRA. Any of the voluntaries I've seen at events are already on using it.

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 14:56:58 PM »
I have had a historical preference for Uniden due to their user-friendliness and good all-round capabilities.

If taking this into consideration, which out of those listed would be recommended?

I have a BDD536HP and despite the moaners and whingers saying its aimed at USA (downloadable database) and they're not wrong, it does the job.  It's no different to programming any other scanner although the way the channels are organised takes a bit of getting used to.  There is free software available to program but if you're without your programming PC, it's sill possible to add channels from the keypad.

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 15:01:42 PM »

In time, non emergency or non-critical users will be DMR or NXDN.  Either systems makes more efficient use of spectrum compared to analog which is an advantage to ComReg in allocating frequencies.

Agreed that there is still a fair bit of action on analog.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 15:08:33 PM by humaxf1 »

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 15:07:57 PM »
It's surprising how much is still analogue actually. PMR446 and UK General (449mhz) seems to have caught on a lot over here, several commercial users that weren't there a few years ago.

I live outside Dublin so I don't think there's much value at this stage investing in a DMR scanner. From comparing with youtube recordings, I'm aware of 3 users in the area but I can't say that they'd be high priority.

Its not long till all the (land-based) full-time and volunteer emergency services are gone to TETRA. Any of the voluntaries I've seen at events are already on using it.

St John, IRC and OMAC all have Tetra handsets allocated to them which is progress.  Analog just doesn't cut it sometimes when you urgently need to contact control.  At events where two or more voluntaries are on duty, a common talk-group can be allocated to handsets.

DFB is still on analog!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 15:09:54 PM by humaxf1 »

Offline Hill Walker

• Scan King
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 13:26:24 PM »

St John, IRC and OMAC all have Tetra handsets allocated to them which is progress.  Analog just doesn't cut it sometimes when you urgently need to contact control.  At events where two or more voluntaries are on duty, a common talk-group can be allocated to handsets.

DFB is still on analog!!!

Yes, that was not something I expected - chicken before the egg! Greatest irony is Civil Defence also having them before Fire despite both being primarily local authority services.

Only fault I have with digital vs analog is I find a great deal of interference on digital underneath electricity lines and pylons. I've had it block transmission completely on DMR but only partially on analog.

Offline humaxf1

• Scan Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 19:09:03 PM »
Irony is right although CD comes under Dept of Defence...but is still voluntary on the lower levels.  I can't see the delay in the fire service moving to Tetra.  As far as I know the fleetmap (talkgroups, callsigns etc) has been created and next there was talk of deciding on which manufacturer to go with whether its Motorola, Sepura etc.

The ambulance service opted for Sepura, whereas Gardai and the vols have Motorola.  As far as I know, analog is preferred for back-back comms at the scene of a fire.  We wait and see...

Haven't experienced swamping of digital transmission, yet - but I certainly don't miss miscellaneous bursts of analog interference.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 19:12:23 PM by humaxf1 »

Offline Hill Walker

• Scan King
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 19:04:19 PM »
Irony is right although CD comes under Dept of Defence...but is still voluntary on the lower levels.  I can't see the delay in the fire service moving to Tetra.  As far as I know the fleetmap (talkgroups, callsigns etc) has been created and next there was talk of deciding on which manufacturer to go with whether its Motorola, Sepura etc.

The ambulance service opted for Sepura, whereas Gardai and the vols have Motorola.  As far as I know, analog is preferred for back-back comms at the scene of a fire.  We wait and see...

Haven't experienced swamping of digital transmission, yet - but I certainly don't miss miscellaneous bursts of analog interference.
Posted over on the National Fire Service frequencies thread that a TETRA Ireland press release and case study confirms that work has begun in the Munster Control Room with Limerick and Tipperary already live, whole region to be completed by late October. ERCC and WRCC to follow.

I'd say it'll be game over for Fire Service scanning within six to eight months nationally. But as you point out the fireground handhelds are still preferred, possibly due to difficulty procuring/cost of explosive atmosphere (ATEX) rated TETRA handhelds.